Karlene's Workshop

My sewing, refashioning and upcycling projects revealed
You are currently browsing all posts tagged with motif

Baby clothes quilt no.2

  • 29/08/2009 11:26 pm

Yay, it’s finished at last. I started making this quilt for my niece Rylee about 3 years ago, when my brother was wanting to pass on her outgrown clothes. I had made one for my son Ewan, and was quite keen to do another using pink girly clothing. It has turned out much bigger than it really needed to be. I think I had originally intended to make it 3 x 4 blocks, but somehow decided that 4 x 5 blocks would be a good idea…now it covers our king size bed!

Rylee's quilt

I used a nine patch block with the central square cut in denim (from her jeans) to give some stability to the stretchier knits. Most of the denim squares had some kind of embroidery detail already on the fabric, so the plain ones got the applique treatment with different flower motifs. As with Ewan’s quilt, all the knit fabrics are backed with fusible interfacing to stop them stretching as I sew. I machine quilted along the sashing strips running across the quilt, and did lots of hand quilted motifs all over the quilt using images from the fabrics as inspiration.

Quilt blocks

Here is Rylee receiving her quilt.

Rylee cuddles her new quilt

I think she liked it!

Share

Quilt for Pip and Dave

  • 17/06/2009 10:10 am

I made a log cabin quilt for my friends Pip and Dave, using up a heap of scraps I had been storing for a while. This was my first attempt at doing a real quilt, so I learned a few things on the way.  The most important thing was why quilts are traditionally made from cotton fabric -  the synthetic ones are so much harder so sew! Cotton fabrics are stable and flow through the machine like they’re supposed to. The man-made fabrics, well they just have a mind of their own. Combining them in a quilt was kind of interesting.

Pip and Dave's quilt

I printed a wedding photo onto some printable cotton designed to go in your computer’s printer, to use as the centre panel and then worked a pattern around it with the log cabin blocks. The border around the photo is made from strips of Pip’s dress. I machine appliqued 4 red heart motifs to frame it.

I machine quilted around the blocks for stability, and hand quilted heart motifs where there was a need.

Centre detail

Oh yeah, Keith helped me by colouring the bouquet and Dave’s tie and buttonhole in the photo before it was printed. Ok he kind of helped with the printing part too. Thank you dear!

We hope Pip and Dave enjoy their quilt and think happy marriage thoughts when they use it :-)

Share