Remember all those frilly girly things I made for my nieces for Christmas? Well, I finally got some pictures of them all wearing the outfits. At Easter! The sun was very bright which is why some of the expressions are not very fairy princess like
Here is Alyssa who is wearing a beaded necklace I made for her a few years ago and had completely forgotten about:
Next Rylee, squinting very badly, she was having a good time, honest!
And lastly Briana. Her bag is from an op shop, I re-covered the back. I love the fact that she is wearing tattoos on her arms LOL, drawn on by her dad.
The tops they are wearing are all bought from op shops and inspired the rest of the outfits. Alyssa’s one is a bit see through so she is wearing a T-shirt underneath with a butterfly print. Pretty!
For my next “princess” skirt for the nieces I made this ruffled one from a Barbie print curtain that my mother-in-law gave me.
The curtain looked brand new, it was from the in-laws new house in the bedroom that our boys sleep in when we stay, and has now been replaced. I just knew it would make an awesome fairy princess skirt.
I’m not saying which niece is getting this one but if any of my family are reading this they can probably guess. Shh!
It is made from three circular layers of different lengths, with gathered tulle strips sewn on the lining layers. “What?” you say, just like this:
I made a circular skirt pattern for the longest layer and marked the two shorter ones on it, then cut them all out.
This is what the cut pieces looked like:
Then I did the same with the lining layers. Yip, this skirt has six layers, which makes it very interesting to sew on elastic for the waist but more about that later.
I’ve been storing some pink tulle in my stash for years, waiting for a project just like this to use it all up. The tulle was strip cut into pieces then gathered into a ruffle.
I sewed the ruffled tulle strips onto each layer so the edge was aligned with the hem. For the hems I just used a zig-zag stitch, I really couldn’t face properly hemming all that fabric! This picture shows the top layer with the ruffle stitched on.
I had to put this picture in because I just loved how the skirt layers looked on top of one another. For some reason it makes me think of a giant wedding cake!
Then came the elastic. I knew I would have a real problem trying to sew through 12 layers if I just folded the top over, so I joined the outer and the lining first, slipped the elastic on, then stitched a casing seam under the elastic to hold it up. Hope this makes sense, it is quite hard to explain.
All done. This is my favorite picture, the angle shows off the layers nicely.
Now I just have to make some kind of flower circlet headdress thing.
I used the rest of Mum’s old dress to make a ruffle wrap for my niece, to match the skirt.
I started off with a strip cut from the under dress to form the base. This layer of the dress was cut on the bias, so my strip is now bias cut without any effort. This will help it sit nicely around her shoulders.
I also cut two narrow extra strips for the straps.
The edges are sewn together down the long edge leaving a small gap for turning in the middle, then the seam is pressed open lying in the centre of the strip.
The straps are tucked in and the ends stitched,
and then the whole thing is turned right side out, ta da!
I cut two strips of lace net from the lace over dress like this.
And then joined them up and gathered them.
Then I did the same with a strip of tulle in a contrasting lime green colour. The gathered strips were layered, pinned on and sewn down the middle of the base.
Next I made some flowers from the remaining lace net and some wine coloured tricot knit (petticoat fabric).
And sewed them on so it looks like this.
This is how it will be worn on the body, but on a much smaller person.
It took me all school holidays (two weeks) just to make the roses and sew them on! Now that the kids are back at school and kindy I’ll have to buckle down and get some real sewing done.