Ballgown Refashion

Posted on 07 May 2009

I needed a formal dress for an event I attended in early 2002 (Wellymoot formal dinner, 60th NZ Rover Scout Moot held in Wellington). So I did a quick refashion on my old school ball dress (red velvet, off the shoulder sleeves, princess line with flared skirt, that my wonderful mother shed blood sweat and tears to make – sorry Mum!).

First the sleeves were removed and armhole edges stitched down. I unpicked the centre seam to add eyelets to the waist level, and gathered/ruched the other seams to form a bustle shape – just like Gok did in Gok’s fashion fix!¬† I then added elastic straps and stitched¬† on a ribbon rose trim strap.

This formed the bodice. For the skirt I made a simple A-line petticoat from red satin, then attached a huge length of black tulle to the waist. The bottom edge was then gathered up to the required length, and red ribbon roses stitched on top to look pretty.

Result, one very quick Victorianesque evening gown!

Keith, Karlene and baby

Bottom of Welly moot dress

Share

  • karlene

    I was about 6 or 7 weeks pregnant with my first child in this photo!

  • Raewyn

    You should post a photo of your original ball gown too – would be interesting to see!

  • karlene

    Yeah I thought about that, the only one I have of me by myself is very poor quality, I have a good one that was taken at the ball but would have to cut out the person next to me :-)
    Will ask Keith to help…

Recent Posts

Tag Cloud

applique baby bag ball bead circle clay clothes corset costume Denim Denim Reconstruction dress fabric fairy floral flower flower girl gown green handbag jeans knit lace large mermaid motif mummy paint patchwork photo quilt refashion rose ruffle scrap skirt stitch tiara tulle tutorial upcycled wedding wings wrap

Meta

Karlene's Workshop is proudly powered by WordPress and the SubtleFlux theme.

Copyright © Karlene's Workshop